Jammies

Jammies' books

This is the blog of a bossy, opinionated sock zombie who loves to read and has really great nails.

Fall of Poppies: Stories of Love and the Great War
Lauren Willig, Joshilyn Jackson;Hazel Gaynor;Mary McNear;Nadia Hashimi;Emmi Itäranta;CJ Hauser;Katherine Harbour;Rebecca Rotert;Holly Brown;M. P. Cooley;Carrie La Seur;Sarah Creech, Jennifer Robson, Marci Jefferson, Jessica Brockmole, Beatriz Williams, Evangeli
Dreadful Skin - Cherie Priest What can I say about a book which made me want to throw it across the room for the first third? Ms. Priest indulges in one of my least-favorite literary tricks, the "...and then I died" first person narrative, not from the point of view of one person, but from the point of view of three characters! If there is zero explanation for how a dead person is telling his story, then I don't want to read it.

The second part was a bit better, and I did like Ms. Priest's take on werewolves as monsters rather than as adorable, puppyish boy/men, but the final third of the story had the same problem as the first third, and the ending left the door a little too obviously open for a sequel.

Overall, I will chalk this up as a not-bad effort by an author who has clearly gotten much better since she wrote this.